Jacob Sparre Andersen
- Independent consultant,
- delivering software innovations with a focus on high reliability;
- implementing and delivering specialised data analysis for scientific experiments;
- doing contract based research in analytic models of investments and the financial system; and
- giving courses on development of reliable software systems, on topics in complex systems, and on Open Source software.
- Associate, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen.
- Board member, AdaHeads K/S.
- Regular presenter at software engineering and computer science conferences.
- Board member in Ada Denmark.
- News editor for Ada User Journal, the software engineering journal published by Ada Europe.
- Industrial Committee member, Ada-Europe International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies.
- System Developer, Consafe Logistics.
- Self-employed software architect and software developer, 2009-.
- External examinator for the Danish software engineering schools (
- Teaching assistant, Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, 2008-2010. Physics of complex systems.
- Financial Analyst, Analytic Support Unit, Nykredit Asset Management, 2008-2009. Oracle PL/SQL, C++, VBA, Ada, analytical models of finance. Managed to replace a Monte Carlo simulation with a simple formula, allowing interactive use of a mathematical model.
- Lecturer in software engineering and head of system administration, DMU-Syd, 2006-2008. Software design, systems programming, game programming, Ada, Java, SPARK, UML, Linux.
- Lecturer in statistics, CEUS Business School, 2007.
- Bioinformatics Researcher, CRS4, 2003-2006. Analysis of DNA arrays.
- Teaching assistant, University of Copenhagen, 2002. Mathematics for biologists.
- Scientific programmer, Danish Institute for Occupational Health, 1992-1994. Developing software for quality control of laboratory measurements.
- Research assistant, Joint European Torus, 1993. Designing and building parts of an x-ray spectrometer.
- Scientific programmer, Geologish-Paläontologish Institut, Kiel, 1992-1993. Oceanography.
Command-Line Parser Generator: A tool which derives a command-line argument parser for a program. It generates a complete command-line driver for an Ada library from an ordinary Ada package specification, without any need for
- Worked on the development of a PBX and reception management system. My primary responsiblities were development of the management server, development of automated tests, and supervising other Ada programmers. Constructed a compiler, which could compile user-readable use-case descriptions to runnable integration tests.
- Identification of cracks in a submerged section of an oil production platform using video inspection, 2013. Performed quality assesment of the work of a primary inspection team. Found a crack in the construction, which the primary inspection team hadn't found.
Koparo: Developing real-time data-acquisition instruments and software for measuring and improving golf swings, 2011-2013. Constructed firm-ware for a high-speed video camera.
- Coordinator for
Føroyska orðalistin til rættlestur (Faroese spell checking dictionary).
- Coordinator for
Den Store Danske Ordliste (Danish spell checking dictionary).
- Development of a low-cost local positioning system with a customer in Mauritius. Created a positioning algorithm based on signal-strength with built-in attenuation corrections.
- Co-founder of AdaHeads K/S, a software development company.
Crimeville: Part of the production team for an on-line detective-riddle game, 2009-2010. Developed a real-time swear-word detector, which even catches word-plays on swear-words.
Asian Social Web with the Scandinavian Tourist Board and Copenhagen Business School. We created a text-mining tool to find blog entries, which can be used to make Asian tourists interested in travelling to the Nordic countries, 2009-2010.
- Harmonised data access, 2009. Development, testing and documentation of a common interface to inhomogeneously organised financial data.
- Developed a Faroese hyphenation table and other Faroese localisation for LaTeX, 2004.
Lydbaseret opslag (a dictionary look-up application prototype targeted at users with spelling difficulties), 2002-2003.
- Studied business economics (HD 1. del) at Copenhagen Business School, 2001-2002.
- ENAM cruise with H/S Dana (oceanography), 1997.
- An application of simulated annealing: Optimisation of programs for parallel computers, 1996-1997.
- ENAM cruise with R/V Pelagia (oceanography), 1995.
- Experiments on 2D turbulence, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, 1994-1995.
- Sorø-dage (teaching assistant/physics summer school for high-school students), Sorø akademi, 1994.
- Flying Circus of Physics, Copenhagen, Sevilla, and Amsterdam (
physics in the street shows), 1992-1994.
- Poseidon cruise 194, Faroe-Iceland-Ridge (oceanography and integration of data acquisition and navigation information systems), 1992.
- Cornell University, Medical College, New York (programming, bioinformatics), 1991.
- PhD in physics with a thesis titled
Experimental study of turbulent diffusion using particle tracking at the Niels Bohr Institute and Risø National Laboratory, 2002. A part of the thesis project was done at Laboratoire de Physique Statistique de l'Ecole Normale Supérieure (Statistical Physics Laboratory of ENS), Paris. Thesis supervisor: Mogens Høgh Jensen.
Management of Research and Innovation, Copenhagen Business School and Risø National Laboratory, 2000.
- MSc in physics with a thesis titled
Measurements of Relative Diffusion in turbulence, 1997. A part of the thesis project was done at University of Pittsburgh. Thesis supervisor: Mogens T. Levinsen.
- BSc in mathematics and physics, 1993.
Awards and scholarships
- First prize in the Nokia Open 2010 developers' competition, for the design of a location-aware calendar for the Nokia N900 (2010).
- Ph.D. scholarship from Forskerakademiet (1998).
- The Lørup scholarship for students at the Niels Bohr Institute (1994).
- Fourth prize in the young researchers competition,
JP-Forsker '93, and participation in the conference
Science and the Media at CERN, for the design of a new programming language (1993).
- Grant for the project
Asian Social Web from Nordisk InnovationsCenter (2009, NOK 1'814'000). With Søren Leerskov and Ana Marìa Munar.
- Grant for the project
Udvikling af professionsbachelor i digital interaktiv underholdning og entrepenørskab (developing a new undergraduate education in information technology) from Vækstforum Sjælland (2007, DKK 973'000). With Jens Lautrup Nørgaard and Erik Kristiansen.
Lectures, conferences, etc.
Persistent Containers with Ada 2012. Ada-Europe 2015, 20th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2015.
Generazione di test di integrazione da casi d'uso. Linux Day in Cagliari, 2015.
Ada 2012: Contract-based Programming - A Route to Finding Bugs Earlier. The Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) 2015 Ada DevRoom, 2015.
Privacy Leaks in Java Classes. Ada-Europe 2014, 19th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2014.
Contract-based programming in Ada 2012 - A tutorial. The Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) 2014 Ada DevRoom, 2014.
Parallel Programming Patterns. Open Source Days 2013.
Contract-based Programming with Ada 2012 - Experience report. DANSAS'13, 2013.
Alice in Adaland. Ada-Europe 2013, 18th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2013.
Ada in the on-line multi-user game Crimeville. The Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) 2012.
Programming Arduinos in Ada. The Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting (FOSDEM) 2012.
Programming Arduinos in Ada. Open Source Days 2012.
Crimeville - Open Source in a commercial on-line game. Open Source Days 2012.
- Informal presentation of a wireless accelerometer as a part of
Ada in Motion. Ada-Europe 2012, 17th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2012.
Crimeville - using Ada inside an on-line multi-user game. Ada-Europe 2011/Ada Connection, 16th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2011.
An Efficient Implementation of Persistent Objects. Ada-Europe 2010, 15th International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies, 2010.
Asian Social Web: Travel 2.0 promotion in Asia Pacific. INTO 2009, VI International Seminar on Innovation and Tourism, 2009.
Linux og Open Source på en it-uddannelse (
Linux and Open Source in an IT education). Linuxforum 2007. With Jesper Nyerup.
Collaborative personalised TV programming. AXMEDIS 2006, 2nd International Conference on Automated Cross Media Content for Multi-channel Distribution, 2006.
- Lectures on Unix shell programming at meetings in Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group.
- Various lectures on Open Source applications and servers at Corso di Laurea in Informatica, Università degli Studi di Cagliari (Department of Computer Science, University of Cagliari), 2005-2006.
Practical Office Automation. Linux Day in Cagliari, 2005.
- Lectures on configuring the web server Apache at meetings in Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group.
uptime(1) - celebrating one billion seconds of Unix, 2001.
3D particle tracking - measurements on turbulence. Danish Physical Society annual meeting, 1999.
Measurements of structure functions and relative dispersion in turbulence. EU network workshop on
Intermittency in Turbulence, 1998.
- Board member in A/B Sorte Hest, 2010-2011, 2012-2013.
- System administrator for Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group, 1999-2012.
- Board member in Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group, 2000, 2001 (treasurer), 2002 (substitute), 2003, 2005-2006, 2010-2011.
- Linux Counter Country Manager for the Faroe Islands, 2001-2007.
- Member of the Standards Committee of the Danish Unix User Group, 2001-2006.
- Co-editor of the book series
Linux - Friheden til ..., 2000-2006.
- Webmaster for Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group, 1999-2012.
- Meeting coordinator for Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group, 1999-2006.
- Member of the Danish Open Source localisation group, 2000-2004.
- System administrator and technical webmaster for the LEGO CAD user group, LDraw.org, 1998-2003.
- Co-founder of Linux-áhugafelagið - the Faroese Linux user group, 2000.
- Cultural experiences:
- Lived 6 years in the Faroe Islands (until I finished high-school)
- Worked 5 months in USA (part of my studies)
- Worked 7 months in France (part of my Ph.D. project)
- Worked 3 years in Italy (postdoctoral position)
- Worked in Germany, England, Mauritius and USA for shorter periods.
- Danish, English, Faroese (fluent)
- Italian (good, fluent in technical topics)
- German, French (limited)
- Norwegian (nynorsk and bokmål), Swedish, Icelandic (only reading)
- Ada, SPARK (professional, my favourites)
- BASIC, Bourne Again Shell, C, C++, COMAL, Java, Oracle PL/SQL, Pascal, Perl, Postscript, Python (professional)
- Fortran (my first programming language, 1985)
- ... and many others.
- Operating systems:
- System administration:
- Unix (AIX, HP-UX, OSF/1, Solaris, FreeBSD), Linux, OS/2, DOS, Windows XP.